Introduction to Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions
About the Skill Module
This skill module introduces the factors contributing to climate change and the science behind greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. It delves into the anthropogenic greenhouse gas effect, the Kyoto Protocol GHGs, the concept of global warming potential (GWP), GHG normalization to carbon dioxide equivalence, sources of GHGs, the GHG Protocol, key definitions, base-year selection, and fundamental principles for GHG quantification and reporting.
Anyone wanting to commence their learning or further consolidate their fundamental knowledge and competence regarding Greenhouse Gas (GHG) management.
You Will Learn
You will learn how to:
- Identify the Kyoto Protocol GHGs and recognize their sources
- Explain global warming potentials (GWP)
- Appreciate that GHG emissions are reported in tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalence (tCO2e)
- Describe the GHG Protocol
- Consider the base-year
- Identify the principles of GHG management and accounting